Monday 11 July 2011

The importance of starting the week well

It's Monday, first day of another working week, the weekend is over, and it is five days until the next one, and something like 60 hours of work before that, so how can I make sure that I get the best opssible outcomes from my coming week? Dear reader, you may have come to realise perusing this blog that I have little time for most of the talking therapies, and particularly those that emphasise positivity, or positive mental attidude. However, this is one area of life where I feel that they may have a point. What I do believe is that life is what you make it, and if you can get each week of to a good start, you are more likely to have a good and productive week than if you just drift into yet another working week and just wait for things to happen.

I start my preparations for Monday morning on Sunday night. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't allow my preparations to reduce or inhibit my weekend relaxation, but I simply start to think about what I need to achieve in the coming week and to strategise how I can start to implement those achievements. I find that if I can have a plan in place ready for the week ahead I am far more likely to achieve what I need to, and far more likely to be able to relax next weekend, knowing I have done well. These preparations usually take the form of simple visualisations. I'll start with an image of sitting at my desk, the weeks work laid out around me, and in my visualisation I will order and prioritise my work load, plan out what is to be done and when, and work through each task in outline in my mind, in much the same way that a top level athlete will visualise their next event, planning and mapping exactly what they are going to do in order to win.

This is a process that works for me, and may not be appropruiate or applicable to everyone, but you never know, it might just be worth a try.....

No comments:

Post a Comment