Monday 4 July 2011

Developing a coherent writing style

So, the purpose of this blog was to encourage myself to return to the creative writing that I love. This far it appears to be working. I'm pretty much blogging five days a week, and the topics that I am writing about are starting to come easier. The next step is to begin to develop my own writing voice. It is a process familiar to all artists I think, even if they might not describe it in the same way, or use the same words. Certainly it is something heard within the theatre world. In order to properly express a role, the actor is required to find their own way of bringing that character to life, in essence bringing their own voice to the role. For me, the process is similar to an artists style, or an authors genre. When an artist has mastered the techniques of his art there is a moment when he stops mimicking the work of others and begins to create his own style. This can be as extreme as creating a new srtistic movement, or as subtle as using the play of light in an innovative way. For the author, it is often found in the way characters are developed, or the way tension is built.


For me, writing these blog posts, I am beginning to become comfortable with the routine of writing. I feel that the ability to generate words on the page is becoming easier, so the next challenge is to begin to explore writing styles to see what feels right for me. There are so many styles out there, and the start of the process is an exploration of how other people are doing it. It can be interesting to see the wide array of styles within even such a small creative format as blogging. My aim is for my blogs to reach the point whereby they could be considered short stories in their own right. An interesting challenge, but one that makes sense. Given the format of a blog, and the requirements of a fairly rigid word limit, the short story could be the ideal format. Now the question is, can I bring the creativity of short story writing, the instant character development, the fast paced action, the concise verbal style, to subjects as diverse as those included in a blog.

I guess we shall have to see....

No comments:

Post a Comment