Monday 5 September 2011

Lack of sleep and its effect on creative writing....

So, after a disturbed weekend of rest and sleep I come into work this morning with a task list of creating original content for a variety of projects that require some research and background reading, and then trying to put a creative slant on subject areas that have already been covered in books and articles for many years. Not the easiest mission at the best of times, but there is something about the creative process that lends itself to working under pressure, to tight deadlines and when tired to the opint of exhaustion. I'm not sure whether it comes from an internal drive combined with the changes in neuro-chemistry that comes from sleep deprivation but there is something invigorating that draws out some of my better work.

I think part of the reason is that as I become more and more tired I find myself becoming more focused. It seems that the distractions take on a lesser significance and have less of an impact than they do when I am well rested. My mind in its rested state tends to run multiple projects simultaneously which can mean that my attention on any one thought wavers periodically, but with having to concentrate more, and having to really get to grips with just one subject area in order to keep going, the end result seems to be better. It would be interesting to spend a couple of days wired up to an FMRI scanner to see what is actually happening in my brain as I go from fully rested to exhausted.

Of course this could just be an inaccurate perception in part brought about by the tiredness and the change in intellectual capacity and performance, but it doesn't feel that way. It feels as though there is a downward step change in what I am intellectually capable of but the upside is that any individual project gets better attention and consequently a better end result. We will have to see how it develops as the tiredness increases over the coming week, because it is alreday shaping up to be a very busy week.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment