Thursday 15 September 2011

The beauty of autumn days....

So, we are into September and the month has started well with bright, crisp sunny days and quite reasonable temperatures. Although it is still early in the season the quality of light in the early mornings is wonderful with just a hint of the autumn mists that will come through late September and October. The Summer was wet and largely cold, the coldest for some twenty five years and it looks as though Winter may come early this year, which suits me down to the ground. The sharp smell of ripe apples and the feel of cold dew under foot as I go out to let the chickens out first thing and take the hound for his first run is an absolute treat, and the run down to the dark half of the year seems to accelerate the nights getting darker and longer and the moon seeming to shine brighter.

I was out last night at just after midnight and the glow of the moon cast a full shadow of bright silver light making the garden glow and lending a real mystical feel to what was a simple wander about the garden. The season of cinnamon and apples and hot pies with clotted cream and long evenings in fromt of the fire, of digging the jumper out and dusting off the boots ready for winter, of harvesting the potatoes and the last of the runner beans and an excuse to start cooking thick, rich soups and stews and baking fresh crusty bread to dunk in it.

You can probably tell that autumn is a high point of my year, spiritually, emotionally, creatively and psychologically it is my time. The run up to All Hallows Eve, Halloween, Samhain whatever you choose to call it is a time when I feel at my brightest, my most energised and potent. Samhain is my most important spiritual festival, a time for the rememberance of ancesters for the drawing in of the past threads of the year, a consolidation of all that I have learned and experienced over the previous twelve months and a chance to set myself up for the Winter and my annual hibernation. To all of my fellow Autumn lovers I bit you Hail and Welcome, come sit round the fier, drink ale and tell stories of past glories and glories yet to come.....

No comments:

Post a Comment