Thursday 9 June 2011

Enjoying simple pleasures....

There are many things that don't take a lot of effort, don't take a lot of money, don't even take much organising but can be a real joy after a hard week at work. Personally I take enormous pleasure from simply preparing a meal for myself and my friends, sitting quietly listening to good music, having a conversation with an old friend. The lifestyle that many of us live is frantic, urgent, constantly full of deadlines, meetings, agenda, and at the end of a week of stress and exertion it is nice to unwind properly. I know from speaking to friends and aquaintances that there is a phenomena that seems to affect the current generation of workers. It is a little odd, but it appears that when people go on holiday, there is a tendency to suddenly feel unwell after the first couple of days. I have been observing this for a while now and I am convinced that it comes down to having to be constantly on the go at work that the body stores up all the aches and twinges and illness ready for that moment when you finally get to relax.

Once that happens, all of those maladies re-emerge and as your stress levels go down, your feeling of wellbeing go down at the same time, you end up having a less than enjoyable holiday, and you almost get to the point when you crave being back at work. This is one of the reasons that I try to make it a personal policy that work gets done at work. I try not to bring anything home with me, so that once I switch off for the day I can properly relax. I have my wind down routine that starts the minute my work phone goes off and I leave the office. Even just on the walk to the bus stop I am already starting to let the pressures of the day dissipate and beginning to wind down, so that by the time I get home I can really relax properly.

It has got to the stage that even the sales calls in the evening are nothing more than a minor irritant, and that feels really good....

No comments:

Post a Comment